It's the wildest song any actress has done: Deepika

Written By Dong on Saturday 16 April 2011 | 03:20



Deepika Padukone reflects on the sexy Dum maro dum remix that is currently making news.

This is not the first time that Deepika Padukone is performing an item number for a film. Following her blockbuster debut film Om Shanti Om, Deepika was seen gyrating to Tu baby badi fit fit in Shah Rukh Khan's home production, Billu. But the sexy Dum maro dum remix number she has done in Rohan Sippy's Dum Maaro Dum is creating quite a buzz for its suggestive lyrics, raunchy moves and a titillating tattoo on her super-toned stomach. While some say that the moves and lyrics are too loud, others are betting that it will race ahead of last year's super hits Munni and Sheila. Quite oblivious to the barbs, Deepika is quite tickled about the number and basking in the limelight.

What was your first reaction when Rohan Sippy approached you for the remix of Dum maro dum?
 I was overwhelmed that he wanted me to be part of the song, because it is such an iconic number.

Were you nervous because the remix was bold and sexy?

I wasn’t nervous or sceptical, because Rohan said that I could have a say in the look in the film, and at the same time be true to the script.

Did you feel that you would be compared with Zeenat Aman who was in the original?
 Rohan’s take on the song was completely different from the original. There was no scope for comparison as the look, feel and mood were nothing like in the iconic number.

What about comparisons with the current favourites Munni and Sheila?
There should be no comparisons as my song is not really an item number. It is very much a part of the story. It comes in the middle of the film, but it is not detached from the script.


How did the shooting of the number go?
I rehearsed for a week before we started shooting because the steps were extremely difficult and I wanted to get them right on the day of the shoot. Bosco and Caesar, who choreographed the song, told me in the beginning that they would push me to the limit and make me do something that no one has ever done before.


So what has the response been like?
I have got an overwhelming response to the song, and the reaction in terms of the number of messages is the same as when Om Shanti Om released. It's the wildest dance form as I have done. In fact it is the wildest song anyone else has done. 


How was it being part of an issue-based film like

Aarakshan, for which you have just finished shooting?
Reservation is rampant in India today, whether it is in getting admission in schools and colleges or getting jobs. The issue is very relevant in today’s times and that's what drew me to the film.


How do you rate debutant director Rohit Dhawan with whom you start shooting for Desi Boyz?
Rohit is very sure and clear about what he wants, but his biggest plus-point is that he is not intimidated by so many big stars around him. That’s nice, because as a newcomer you need to be confident of yourself, and of what you are doing. 


What was your response when you were approached to act opposite Rajinikanth in Rana?
It was the same feeling when Farah Khan told me that she was casting me opposite Shah Rukh in Om Shanti Om. Until I start shooting, which will be sometime this month, I don’t think I will believe it. In fact it has not hit me as yet.

Are you doing Homi Adajania’s project with Saif Ali Khan and Heer Ranjha with Shahid?
After Rana, I am doing Homi’s film. It’s a love story and still untitled, and after that I am doing Race 2, which is a thriller. I was never in the running for Heer Ranjha.


No comments:

Post a Comment